Explorer Hall of Fame
- The Age of Exploration was a time of great change and discovery. Explorers
claimed new lands not previously known for European countries. These
explorers made discoveries of great historical importance, sometimes by
mistake. Mistake or not, these explorers made important discoveries for the
world, and their efforts have earned them a place in history.
- The task is for students to break into groups to research an important
European explorer. Each group will be assigned one European explorer.
Groups will then use the research to create a Google Slides presentation on the
1. Each group will choose an explorer from the following list: Christopher
Columbus, Henry Hudson, Hernando de Soto, Samuel de Champlain, Robert
La Salle, Juan Ponce de Leon, Francis Drake, Vasco da Gama, and
2. Using the web sites provided each group will research its assigned explorer. Here is a list of questions to
keep in mind when doing research:
- What was the lifespan of the explorer?
- For what country did the explorer sail?
- How many voyages did this explorer make?
- Why did the explorer go on his voyage(s)?
- What parts of the world did this explorer travel?
- What was the result of his voyage? How did it influence the world?
- Try to include a picture of your explorer and a map of his voyage.
- Topics may include, but are not limited to the ones above.
3. Upon compiling information, groups will use the relevant information to
create a Google Slides presentation about the explorer. Be sure to watch for
grammatical errors and misinformation.
4. Students must record their information sources works cited.
Web Quest Links